Sydenstricker United Methodist Church in Springfield, Virginia is seeking to hire Chancel Choir Section Leaders.
SYDENSTRICKER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 8508 Hooes Road, Springfield, VA 22153 703-451-8223 Chancel Choir Section Leader
POSITION: Chancel Choir Section Leader Reports to: Director of Music Effective: Jan. 1st, 2024
Directly Supervises: None
Status: 4-5 Hours per week FLSA: Exempt
Section leaders are responsible for leading a specific section of nonprofessional singers during regularly scheduled choir rehearsal, worship services and special occasions as decreed by the Director of Music Ministries to enhance the music ministry at Sydenstricker UMC. This position is scheduled from the beginning date of hire through the end of May 2024 and may vary depending on the schedule of the selected candidate.
- • Experience in small ensembles and in solo settings
- • Strong sight-singing ability
- • Ability to musically lead and carry a section
- • Flexibility in singing reasonable, alternative voice parts (soprano moved to alto in some settings, baritone to second tenor)
- • Either enrolled in or graduated with a music education degree, vocal performance degree, or similar degree with likewise credentials
- • Proficiency in singing in non-English languages (e.g., Latin, German, etc.)
- To enhance the quality of the music performed by the Chancel Choir by supporting the section and the Director of Music Ministries in the performance of both Sunday Services and any special services throughout the year
- Lead the Section of the Chancel Choir in weekly rehearsals and for additional rehearsals scheduled for special events
- Provide special music (optional) and occasional solos for Church Services as requested by the Director of Music Ministries.
This is a Nonexempt Hourly position. This position maintains a weekly hours-worked timesheet and is paid based on the number of hours submitted. This position earns vacation leave but is not eligible for any other benefits SUMC offers. All salary payments are made via ETF.
Section Leaders report directly to the Director of Music Ministries for guidance and support. The Director of Music Ministries will conduct performance evaluations once a year. Suggestions or problems concerning procedures or duties should be brought to the attention to a Pastor or any Leadership Board member. Revision Date: 1/25/24 Page 2 of 2
TIME COMMITMENTS SYDENSTRICKER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH 8508 Hooes Road, Springfield, VA 22153 703-451-8223 Chancel Choir Section Leader
This position requires the following attendance:
1. Weekly on Thursdays: 7:30-9:00 pm
2. Sundays 10:30 am until the end of 11:00 am service
3. Occasionally the choir will sing at the 8:30 am service with 8:00 call time
4. Special Services during Easter Holy Week (typically 2-4 services) call time TBD
5. Special Services during Christmas times depending on changing calendar
6. Additional compensation available for weddings and funerals (optional)
All time sheets are to be completed and SIGN by the 23rd of each month.
80.00-100.00 per call (160.00-200.00 for a normal week of rehearsal and Sunday service)
- Adherence to Vision: Understands and exemplifies the vision of the church in their daily, weekly and periodic job functions. Shares the vision in the way that they interact with others. Shares the focus of moving the church forward to fulfill the vision of the church. Each day they work to imitate Christ in their vocation.
- Creativity and Innovation: Generates new ideas; makes new connections among existing ideas to create fresh approaches; takes acceptable risks in pursuit of innovation; learns from mistakes; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work.
- Technical Expertise: Acquires and demonstrates the technical skills required to proficiently execute the essential functions of the job; understands which skills are lacking and seeks to develop those skills; continually works toward the mastery of technical proficiency.
- Interpersonal Skills: Establishes good working relationships with all others who are relevant to the completion of work; works well with people at all levels of the congregation; builds appropriate rapport; considers the impact of his/her actions on others; uses diplomacy and tact; is approachable; avoids communication triangles.
Send resume and interest letter to the Director of Music Ministries, Dr. James Wolter: